- 1971 / B.S. Experimental Science / Lycee, F. Faure Beauvais / Paris, France - 1984 / M.D. Physiology / Medical School of Paris V / Paris, France - 1984 / Ph.D. Physiology / Medical School of Paris VI / Paris, France - 1980-1985 / Residency / Paris, France - 1987-1990 / Postdoctoral Fellowship / M.D. Anderson Cancer Center / Houston, Texas
- 1987-1988 / Postdoctoral Fellow / Molecular Genetics, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center / Houston, TX - 1988-1990 / Research Associate / Molecular Genetics, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center / Houston, TX - 1990-1995 / Assistant Professor / Molecular Genetics, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center / Houston, TX - 1996-1997 / Associate Professor / Molecular Genetics, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center / Houston, TX - 1998-1999 / Associate Professor / Molecular and Human Genetics / Baylor College, TX - 1999-2006 / Professor / Molecular and Human Genetics Baylor College of Medicine / TX - 2006- / Professor & Chair / Department of Genetics and Development, College of Physicians & Surgeons, CUMC
Publications Featuring Research Findings
1. Lee NK, Sowa H, Hinoi E, Ferron M Ahn JD, Confavreux C, Dacquin R, Mee PJ, McKee M, Jung, DY, Zhang Z, Kim JK, Mauvais-Jarvis F, Ducy P, and Karsenty G. Endocrine regulation of energy metabolism by the skeleton. Cell 130: 456-69, 2007.
2. Oury F, Sumara G, Sumara O, Ferron M, Smith CE, Hermo L, Suarez S, Roth BL, Ducy P and Karsenty G. Endocrine regulation of male fertility by the skeleton. Cell 144: 796-810, 2011.
3. Ferron M, Wei J, Yoshizawa T, Del Fattore A, De Pinho RA, Teti A, Ducy P and Karsenty G. Insulin signaling in osteoblasts integrates bone remodeling and energy metabolism Cell 142: 296-308, 2010.
4. Oury F, Khrimian LN, Denny CA, Gardin A, Chamouni A, Goeden N, Huang YY, Srinivas P, Gao XB, Suyama S, Langer T, Horvath T, Bonnin A, and Karsenty G, Maternal and offspring pools of osteocalcin influence brain development and functions. Cell 155: 228-41, 2013.
5. Mera P, Laue K, Ferron M, Confavreux C, Wei J, Galan-Diez M, Lacampagne A, Mitchell SJ, Mattison JA, Chen Y, Bacchetta J, Szulc P, Kitsis RN, de Cabo R, Friedman RA, Torsitano C, McGraw TE, Puchowicz M, Kurland I and Karsenty G. Osteocalcin signaling in myofibers is necessary and sufficient for optimum adaptation to exercise. Cell Metab. 23 (6):1078-92, 2016.
- 1996 / International Bone and Calcium Institute, Inc., Research Award - 1997 / Research Award, Austrian Bone and Mineral Research Society - 2000 / Michael E. DeBakey Excellence in Science Award - 2001 / D. Harold Copp Award from IBMS - 2001 / Louis V. Avioli Founders Award from ASBMR - 2006 / Edith and Peter O’Donnell award The Academy of Medicine, Engineering and Science of Texas - 2006 / Drieu-Cholet Award, The National Academy of Medicine of France - 2007 / Schaefer Prize, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University Medical Center - 2008 / Lee C. Howley Prize for Arthritis Research, Arthritis Foundation - 2010 / Richard Lounsberry Prize, NAS/ Academie des sciences France - 2010 / Member, College of CSR Reviewers, NIH - 2010 / Jacobaeus Prize Novo Nordisk Foundation, Denmark - 2011 / Herbert Fleisch Award, IOF - 2011 / William F. Neuman Award from ASBMR - 2014 / Elected Member of the Institute of Medicine (National Academy of Medicine) - 2016 / Roy O. Greep Award for Outstanding Research, Endocrine Society - 2016 / Stevens Triennial Prize for Excellence in Original Medical Research - 2017 / AACE Frontiers in Science Award - 2017 / Elected Associate Member of EMBO
[Symposium: Bone I] :Interaction between Bone and Other Organs
Date & Time : April 20, 09:30-11:00 Venue : Cosmos
Dong Won Byun (Soon Chun Hyang University Hospital, Seoul, Korea)
Deog-Yoon Kim (Kyung Hee University Hospital, Korea)
Osteocalcin Signaling for Optimum Adaptation to Exercise Gerard Karsenty (Columbia University, USA)
Cathepsin K Activity Controls Cardiotoxin-induced Skeletal Muscle Repair in Mice Xianwu Cheng (Yanbian University Hospital, China)
Muramyl Dipeptide Is A Novel Inducer of Bone Formation Through Activation of Nod2 and Runx2 Seung Hyun Han (Seoul National University School of Dentistry, Korea)
[Plenary Lecture IV] :Bone
Date & Time : April 21, 14:00-14:40 Venue : Walkerhill Theatre
Sung-Kil Lim (Yonsei University Graduate School of Medicine, Korea)
The Contribution of Bone to Whole Organism Physiology Gerard Karsenty (Columbia University, USA)